During the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance's International Roadcheck, over 12,000 commercial vehicles and nearly 4,000 drivers were taken out of service by roadside inspectors.
The focus of inspections was on wheel-ends, with a total of 59,000 inspections conducted over a three-day period. The most common vehicle violations included issues with brake systems, tires, defective service brakes, lights, and cargo securement. Drivers were also frequently taken out of service for false logs, driving with the wrong class license, hours of service violations, suspended licenses, and not having a medical card.
The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) reported that the out-of-service rate for vehicles in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico was around 23% during the International Roadcheck that took place on May 17-19. Additionally, the out-of-service rate for drivers during the same event was 6.4%. These results were released by CVSA on September 13th.
During the recent CVSA International Roadcheck, the focus was on wheel-ends, with tires being the second most common violation and wheels coming in seventh. Specifically, there were 3,374 violations related to tires, accounting for 18.5% of all out-of-service violations and 784 violations related to wheels, making up 4.3% of violations. Overall, wheel-ends made up 22.8% of all violations across North America. A commercial motor vehicle is considered out-of-service when an inspector finds critical violations during an inspection and the driver and vehicle cannot operate until the violation is corrected. Vehicles that pass Level I or V inspections are eligible for a CVSA decal, valid for up to three months and during the May Roadcheck, 14,200 decals were distributed. The passing rate for commercial motor vehicles was 77.2% and 93.6% of drivers did not receive out-of-service violations.
In duration of the CVSA International Roadcheck, U.S. and Canada inspectors conducted 36,555 Level I inspections, while Mexico inspectors conducted 1,150 Level V Inspections, for a total of 37,705 Level I and V inspections. These inspections resulted in 8,718 vehicles being placed out of service, which equates to a 23.1% vehicle out-of-service rate for North America. Additionally, when considering the 48,966 Level I and II inspections conducted in Canada and the U.S., 11,181 vehicles were placed out of service, resulting in a 22.8% vehicle out-of-service rate. Furthermore, 3,118 drivers were placed out of service, resulting in a 6.4% driver out-of-service rate.
More inspection stats
During the CVSA International Roadcheck, which took place on May 17-19, a total of 58,287 North American Standard Inspections were performed. These inspections were broken down as follows:
- 36,555 Level I Inspections: This is a 37-step process that checks the driver's operating credentials, requirements, and the vehicle's mechanical fitness and compliance with regulations.
- 12,411 Level II Inspections: This inspection reviews the driver's operating credentials and requirements, and includes only vehicle inspection items that can be checked without the inspector physically getting under the vehicle.
- 8,171 Level III Inspections: This inspection is focused on reviewing the driver's credentials and operating requirements.
- 1,150 Level V Inspections: This inspection includes vehicle inspection items and may be conducted at any location without a driver present.
Level I inspections
Inspectors in Canada and the U.S. primarily conduct the Level I inspection during International Roadcheck. The 37-step process involves a thorough inspection of the vehicle and the driver’s operating credentials.
- Of the 36,555 Level I Inspections conducted in Canada and the U.S., 23.7% of the vehicles inspected (8,672) were placed out of service, and 6.1% (2,242) of drivers were placed out of service.
- In the U.S., of the 33,196 Level I Inspections conducted, 7,912 commercial motor vehicles (23.8%) and 2,051 drivers (6.2%) were placed out of service.
- In Canada, of the 3,359 Level I Inspections conducted, 760 commercial motor vehicles (22.6%) and 191 (5.7%) drivers were placed out of service.
Level V inspection
Inspectors in Mexico conducted 1,150 Level V Inspections. The Level V Inspection includes each of the vehicle inspection items specified under the North American Standard Level I inspection and may be conducted without a driver present. Thirty-six commercial motor vehicles were placed out of service, which is a 3.1% out-of-service rate.